Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fucked Up-Year of the Rat 12" single





Every time I am asked "Who's your favorite band?" I say "I dunno." or "I don't really have a favorite." Nothing comes to mind, not one single group pops into my head because no single group stands out. Maybe I will have a favorite and then the band breaks up or changes dramatically for the worst. Not one group can stay at the top holding their title for eternity. Today is different though, today i ask myself why don't i just answer "My favorite band is Fucked Up."

This record is not their latest effort. Its one that i slept on and then could never find, or maybe i just never had the money(not that its expensive). Well today i found it at my local shop and figured now was probably my one chance to get it. Like the one before this(Year of the Pig) I was expecting the A-side to be a departure of the Fucked Up norm, which is becoming the fucked up norm. Instead i found the A-side to be another PERFECT Fucked Up song, and ill cut to the chase with this statement: "Year of the Rat" blew me away. I feel that i am truly in love with this band. I read the lyrics and stare at the record spin the very same way i gaze into my significant others' eyes.

"Year of the Rat" is similar to the stuff off of "Hidden World" and "Chemistry of the Common Life". Its layered with guitar tracks and at times you can hear a quiet organ/piano/other instruments fighting over an orchestra of noise. This song has everything i love and look for in new music, and the hook at the chorus sent a chill down my spine.

The B-side "First Born" had a little bit of a Pink Floyd vibe to it but always retained the melodic hardcore sound that this band is famous for, This is indeed a sound all their own. The lyrics on this track seem to be on a more personal level which makes it very engaging.

So do i have a favorite band? I will probably still say "I dunno.", that's a huge question to answer. Maybe I'll say "No i do not have a favorite, but i really really like Fucked Up."

Whats Your Rupture? Records
Lifes a trap when you're a rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment